Exploring Stigma and the Power of Kindness
We are hosting conversations in communities across Scotland to think specifically about how communities can challenge the stigma around substance use. We look at the role that stigma can play in our lives, in our families and communities and hear about different ways we might encounter that, and we share the science behind the power of kindness and how it can help to address stigma. These workshops create opportunities for everyone to share ideas and actions for change. We hope each event will bring people together to explore the potential to support change from harmful use of alcohol or drugs to increased health, wellbeing and social connection.
We are hosting these workshops nationally and regionally. Are you interested in taking part? Are you interested in partnering with us to bring this workshop to your local community? Contact email@example.com to discuss.
We have put together resources and further reading below. We hope you find them useful.
- Behind the Numbers – Scottish Families
- Insert Standard Stigmatising Headline and Image Here – Scottish Families
- What the Research says about LGBTQ+ People and Substance Use – Scottish Families
- Love Makes You Family – Scottish Families
- Kinder Stronger Better – #KinderStrongerBetter
- A Strategy to Address the Stigmatisation of People and Communities Affected by Drug Use – Scottish Drug Deaths Taskforce
- Recovering Connections – Changing Stigma to Respect
- Stigma and Substance Use – Scottish Drugs Forum
- Problem Drug Use in Scotland – Drugs Research Network Scotland
- Why Some People Who Use Substances Become Addicted
- Rights, Respect and Recovery – Scottish Government
- Alcohol Framework 2018 – Scottish Government
- Intervening within and across levels: A multilevel approach to stigma and public health
- Understanding Mental Health Stigma and Discrimination – See Me
- HIV Scotland’s Anti-Stigma Strategy: Road Map to Zero
- Moving Beyond ‘People-First’ Language – Scottish Drugs Forum
- Overcoming Stigma Through Language – A Primer
- Stigma: Advances in Theory and Research
- Language Matters: communicating about people, alcohol, and drugs – Highland Alcohol and Drugs Partnership
- The World Drug Perception Problem – Global Commission on Drug Policy