We have many volunteering roles at Scottish Families
Our helpline service is a vital service to family members and friends in Scotland. We will train volunteers in call-handling skills and alcohol and drug awareness. Our helpline volunteers answer calls, online webchats and speak to people in our online community chat room including responding to posts on our message boards on our website.
Our helpline runs from 9am-11pm Monday to Friday and we run a call-back service over the weekend. There is flexibility in the hours you can volunteer depending on the demands of our service and your own time.
Volunteering for our helpline can be done from the comfort of your own home. Our requirements are:
- Either PC or laptop access at home (tablets are not suitable)
- Internet access at home
- Landline or mobile to receive calls on
- Email account
- Advanced digital skills ability to engage in online interactions, use Microsoft office and have access to an email account
- Excellent English both written and verbal
- 2 years substance free (if previously been a person who has experienced problems using substances or has had a family member who has experienced problems using substances)
- Drug and alcohol knowledge
- Experience of studying/training/volunteering/working in health and social care/trauma/support services or organisations
- Understanding of data protection
- Able to attend a training session in Glasgow City Centre (half day at your own expense)
If you are interested in this volunteering role please contact our Helpline Development Officer Suzie Gallagher firstname.lastname@example.org who will send you an information/application pack.
Help with our fundraising
Fundraising events help us raise money and raise the profile of our charity. With only one paid member of fundraising staff, volunteer fundraisers make a huge difference to the number of events we can hold and attend, and make a vital contribution. Can you help?
We are looking for media volunteers to speak to journalists about their experiences of being affected by someone else’s alcohol or drug use.
This role is coming soon and more information will be available.
We collect personal information from you when apply to be one of our volunteers. Full details can be read in our Volunteer Policy Notice.